Matthew Kershaw, the Special Administrator appointed to investigate South London Healthcare Trust, has now published his report. A consultation starts on 2 November.
Kershaw’s key recommendations are:
- Selling off “vacant and poorly utilised premises” around the Queen Mary’s site and Bromley estate.
- The sale of Orpington Hospital and Beckenham Beacon.
- Handing over the Pru to King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust – or allowing any NHS or private sector provider to bid for its services.
- Closing Lewisham Hospital A&E department with emergency care for south east London provided by King’s College Hospital, St Thomas’s, Queen Elizabeth and the Pru.
- Either shutting Lewisham Hospital’s maternity unit or making it a standalone obstetric-led delivery facility.
- Making Lewisham Hospital an elective centre for non-complex inpatient procedures like hip and knee replacements.
- The write-off of PFI debts – said to make up one third of the overall deficit
- Improving “operational efficiency”, slashing £79m across the trust sites over three years – including cutting full-time staff by 140.
Source: News Shopper
If you haven’t signed our petition to save jobs and services at the Trust – now’s the time to do it, and tell everyone you know to do the same.
And please also help our colleagues in Lewisham fight against the wasteful closure of a brand-new Accident and Emergency facility.