Each time I attend the quarterly Carers Forum I hear the same complaints voiced:
- Lack of space for wheel-chair users on buses.
- Lack of one-to-one help when required.
- People being sent to activities which they cannot access.
- People left sitting "on the sidelines" because it is considered unsafe for them to join in.
- People being taken for rides in buses simply because staff cannot provide anything for them to do indoors.
- Too few staff trained to organise activities suited to peoples’ abilities and resulting low moral amongst staff.
Bromley Mencap are stretched constantly to come up with ideas, but they have to provide for children and carers as well as less able adults.
If you are concerned about services for adults with learning disabilities, please write to:
Councillor Graham Arthur, Adult and Community Services Portfolio Holder
Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH